This article describes how to use file comments in the DRACOON Web App.
Topics of this article
What are file comments?
- File comments are annotations and notes that users of a data room can add to files.
- Any number of comments can be added to a file.
- Comments can be used, for example, to leave notes about the file for other users or to discuss files in the team.
- The comments of a file are displayed one below the other in the detail view in the right sidebar sorted by date.
- Comments can be edited or deleted afterwards.
- You can be notified by e-mail about new comments of selected files.
View previous comments of a file
- Click directly on the file name of the desired file in the file list, or double-click anywhere in its line.
- The detailed view of the file will be shown.
- In the right sidebar, under Comments, the file's existing comments are displayed as a history. The newest comments appear first, older comments below.
- To return to the file list, either press the Esc key, click your browser's Back button, or click the X icon at the top right (next to the Share button).
An icon in the file list indicates that a file has comments. In addition, the number of comments is displayed next to the icon. By clicking on the icon the existing comments can be displayed:
Add a new comment to a file
- Highlight the file that you you want to comment.
- Click in the right sidebar on Add comment.
- The detailed view of the file will be shown, and the field for entering a new comment is active.
- Enter your desired comment. If necessary, you can insert a new line by pressing the ENTER key.
- To save your completed comment, click under the comment field on Add. However, if you want to discard your comment and not save it, click on Cancel.
When you have added a comment to a file, you will automatically receive a Notification by e-mail, if other users add further comments to the file and e.g. reply to your comment (unless you have disabled in your user account).
Who may add file comments?
Any user of a data room may add file comments - even users, who only have read permission.
Change or delete comment afterwards
- Open the previous comments of the desired file, as described above under View previous comments of a file.
- Click the button right of the comment you want to modify or delete.
- If you want to change the comment, click the Edit menu command. Make the desired changes to your comment and save them by clicking Save.
If you want to delete the comment, click the Delete menu command. Confirm the security message to delete the comment irrevocably.
A deleted comment is not completely removed, only the previous comment text. When deleting, an empty comment entry remains. The user who deleted the comment is named in it. This avoids ambiguities, for example, if other users had referred to the deleted comment in a later comment, and it can be traced who initiated the deletion (the commenting user himself or a room administrator)..
Who can change or delete file comments?
- Change comments: Users can only change their own comments, not those of other users.
- Delete comments: Users can delete only their own comments, not those of other users. Additionally, room administrators can delete any file comments in the data room.
Notifications for new comments
You can be notified by e-mail about new comments on selected files.
File comments compared to file description
- A file can additionally contain a description, which is displayed in the file information. However, only one description is possible per file, while any number of file comments can be made per file.
The description serves as a general, neutral reference to the file, while file comments represent the personal opinions of users about the file and can, for example, map a discussion history. Description and file comments thus serve different purposes.