This article explains how to work with files from DRACOON using the DRACOON Web App.
Topics of this article
- Details view with image and PDF preview, video streaming, and comments
- Open file via DRACOON app (DRACOON for Windows/Mac/iOS/Android)
- Download a file from DRACOON
- Download multiple files from DRACOON
- Download an entire data room or folder as a zip file
- Copy direct link to a data room/folder/file for sharing
Details view with image and PDF preview, video streaming, and comments
- The display of the details view is the default action for files in the DRACOON Web App.
- For images (including medical DICOM image files), videos, audio, and PDF files, a large preview is displayed in the details view. This eliminates the need to download the file to your device if the preview is already sufficient.
- Video files are streamed in preview from DRACOON. So you can already start watching the video while it is still fully loading in the background.
- In encrypted data rooms, a preview of files up to a maximum file size of 50 MB can be displayed.
- Files for which no preview is available can be downloaded to your device to open and view them afterward with another program, or opened directly from the detail view with DRACOON for Windows/Mac/Android/iOS.
- In the right side pane of the details view, the comments and the file information (e.g. file size) are displayed.
To open the details view of a file:
- In the file list, click directly the file name of the desired file, or double-click anywhere in its row.
- The details view of the file is displayed.
- In the right side pane, under Comments, the existing comments of the file are listed chronologically. Under Info, the properties of the file are displayed, such as file size and modification date.
- Using the and buttons displayed to the left and right of the preview image, you can jump to the previous and next file in the folder/room, respectively.
- To exit the detail view, either press the Esc key, click your browser's back button, click the penultimate entry at the top of the path bar, or click the X icon at the top right (next to the Share button).
- Waiting time at the first call of a file: When the details view of a file is called up for the first time, it may take a little time until the preview is displayed since the preview image must first be generated by DRACOON. Afterward, the preview image is available without delay for all users of the data room.
- Supported audio/video formats: The following audio files can be played in the DRACOON Web App: .mp3, .m4a (AAC), .flac, .wav.
In general, DRACOON Web App supports the preview of the following video files: .mp4, .ogg, .webm, .mov, .quicktime.
However, not all browsers on all operating systems offer support for each of these video formats: For example, .mov videos can only be viewed in Firefox or Safari, but not in Chrome or Edge. Certain .mp4 videos cannot be viewed in Chrome, Edge, and Safari (but can be viewed in Firefox).
If necessary, switch to another browser if viewing a certain video is not possible, or download the video using the Download button at the top right and watch it afterward by opening the downloaded video file.
Share link to details view with other users of the data room: The details view of each file is accessible at a specific, fixed Internet address (URL). You can copy the Internet address of a details view that is currently open from the browser address bar or using the button (top right) and forward it, e.g. via chat or email, to another user who is also authorized to access the data room. If this user opens the direct link, the details view of the file opens immediately (if the other user is not currently logged in, the login page opens first).
Open file via DRACOON app (DRACOON for Windows/Mac/iOS/Android)
You can open a file from the DRACOON Web App directly with the linked program on your computer (or the appropriate app on the smartphone/tablet) and view or edit it. The Open with DRACOON app command is available for this purpose. When you invoke this command in the Web App, the Web App passes the command to download and open the file to DRACOON for Windows/Mac or DRACOON for iOS/Android on your device. For example, you can open and edit a Word document from the DRACOON Web App with Microsoft Word on your PC/Mac immediately.
Prerequisite: DRACOON for Windows/Mac or DRACOON for iOS/Android must be installed on the device being used.
If you are using an iPad and Safari, you may first need to change settings.
- Right-click the file you want to open, and on the context menu, click Open with DRACOON app. Note: If you are currently in the details view of the file, click the three-dot button, and then click the Open with DRACOON app on the menu.
- Your browser wants you to confirm that it is allowed to pass the command to open the file to an application/app on your device. For example, under Google Chrome, the message looks like this.: Confirm the message (under Google Chrome by clicking on Open DRACOON).
In most browsers, this confirmation message can be turned off by selecting a checkbox in the message so that it will not be displayed again in the future.
- The file is downloaded by the DRACOON app (DRACOON for Windows/Mac/iOS/Android, depending on the device you are using) and automatically opened with the linked application, e.g. in Microsoft Word on your PC/Mac.
If in DRACOON for Windows/Mac no bookmark (a drive connection or a volume) is set up for your DRACOON yet, you must create one first. DRACOON for Windows/Mac automatically shows a dialog box for creating a new bookmark in case of need.
- When you edit the file and save the changes, the modified new version of the file is automatically uploaded from DRACOON for Windows/Mac/iOS/Android to DRACOON.
Download a file from DRACOON
You can download a copy of a file from the DRACOON Web App to your computer or smartphone/tablet at any time.
- Right-click the file you want to download as a copy, and click Download in the context menu. Note: If you find yourself in the details view of the file, click the Download button in the upper right corner.
- The file is downloaded to your Downloads folder using the download function of your browser.
Downloads from encrypted data rooms
If the current data room is encrypted, the download of a file takes a little longer, because the file must be decrypted first. In this case, DRACOON displays a download status window in the bottom right corner:
In the Firefox and Safari browsers, files can be downloaded up to a maximum size of 2 GB, in the Chrome and Edge browsers there is no size limit for this.
If you download a copy of a file from DRACOON and then edit it on your device, you must manually re-upload the changed file to DRACOON if you want to save it to DRACOON.
Download multiple files from DRACOON
You can also download multiple files from the DRACOON Web App to your computer or smartphone/tablet. The files will be downloaded as a bundled zip file, which contains the individual files.
- Highlight the files that you want to download.
- Click Download in the right side pane.
- The files are downloaded as a bundled zip file to your Downloads folder.
In the Firefox and Safari browsers, multiple selected files can be downloaded as a zip file up to a total size of max. 2 GB, in the Chrome and Edge browsers there is no size limit for this.
Download an entire data room or folder as a zip file
You can download an entire data room or folder together with its subfolders from the DRACOON Web App to your computer or smartphone/tablet. The data room or folder is downloaded as a zip file, whereby the structure of the subfolders is retained in the zip file..
- Right-click the data room or folder that you want to download as a a zip file, and on the shortcut menu, click Download.
- The data room or folder is downloaded along with its subfolders as a bundled zip file to the download folder set in the browser.
- In the Firefox and Safari browsers, data rooms or folders up to a total size of max. 2 GB can be downloaded as a zip file; in the Chrome and Edge browsers, there is no size limit for this..
- When downloading an entire data room, its child data rooms are not included, only the subfolders of the room. So each subdata room may have to be downloaded separately.
Copy direct link to data room/folder/file for sharing
Each element in DRACOON (data room/folder/file) is accessible under a set Internet address, the so-called direct link. If a direct link is clicked, e.g. in a chat, or manually inserted in the browser address bar and called up, the linked element is immediately displayed in the DRACOON Web App. In this way, for example, a specific data room or the preview of a specific image file can be quickly called up in DRACOON..
The direct link is also perfect for pointing out the room, a folder, or a file in the room to other users who are also authorized to access the linked data room.
So copy a direct link to a data room, folder, or file to share:
- Point the mouse to the row of the desired item (e.g. a specific file) and click the Copy direct link button on the right.
- The direct link to the element was copied to the clipboard.
You can now insert this into a company chat, for example, to point authorized colleagues to the item (e.g. "Please place the drafts here: https://dracoon.firma.de/node/882128").
Note that users can only use the direct link if they have access rights to the linked data room. To make elements from DRACOON available to non-authorized users, you create a Share (to view or download) or File request (for uploading) for the desired item and then pass the share link or file request link instead of the direct link.