This article explains how to set or undo a size limit (quota) for a specific existing data room. By limiting the storage space for the data room you can prevent its users from storing unlimited files in the room and the room occupying too much space of the DRACOON memory over time..
Who may limit the storage space of data rooms?
- Storage space limits for data rooms, which are on the highest level in DRACOON may be set only by those users who have the role Room Manager.
- Storage limits for data rooms below an existing data room (i.e., subrooms) may only be set by the room administrators of the parent data room, i.e., the data room in which the data room to be restricted is located. Users who only have the role of room manager but are not room administrators in that room are not allowed to set storage limits for subrooms.
Set a storage limit for a data room
- Click the button to the right of the path navigation bar and then click Show all data rooms in the menu:
What does "Show all data rooms" do?
By default, DRACOON displays only the data rooms that you can use yourself (i.e. in which you have permissions, e.g. to upload).
However, as a room manager, for example, you are allowed to set storage limits for all top-level data rooms - even for rooms where you have no permissions.
The Show All Data Spaces command now causes all existing data spaces to be listed so that you can select the desired space to set the storage limit, even if you do not have permissions in it.
If Show All Data Spaces is enabled, data spaces for which you limit storage space but cannot use yourself are displayed in light gray so that you can distinguish them from your usable spaces.
- Select the data space whose storage space you want to limit.
- In the right sidebar, the previous storage space limit of the data room is displayed (or Unlimited if the storage space was not previously limited). Click the pencil icon next to the storage space display.
- The dialog box for setting a storage limit for the data room is displayed. Click Limit Disk Space and specify how much disk space should be available for the data room in the field below it.
- If the data room already contains files, no smaller value can be set than the space already occupied by the room's files and trash.
- Keep in mind that deleted files and previous file versions in the data room recycle bin also count toward used space in the room, so don't skimp on data room storage space to prevent users from suddenly being unable to store any files in the room.
- The specified storage limit also includes all subspaces of the data room. So, for example, if you limit the storage space of a room to 50 GB, a total of 50 GB of storage is available for the room and all its subspaces together.
- Click Save to set the storage limit.
- The storage space limitation is active immediately. As soon as a user saves a new file in the room and thereby the allowed maximum size of the room is exceeded, no more files can be saved in the room, until memory is released is released (e.g. by Empty the recycle bin), and a corresponding message is displayed to the user.
- If you no longer want to limit the storage space in a data room, you can remove the existing storage space limit by following the steps above and selecting the No Limit option in the Size Settings dialog box.
- If you have connected an Active Directory to DRACOON and activated personal data rooms for its users, you can create a automatic uniform size limit for the personal data rooms.