This article describes how to add new groups to a data room so that all members of those groups can access files and folders in the data room. If you have many users, it can be significantly easier to group them together and then add an entire such group to a dataroom than to set permissions for individual users.
Who is allowed to add groups to a data room?
Adding new groups to a data room is done by the room administrators of the respective data room.
Group managers can create new groups in DRACOON, but they do not have the right to add groups to a data room (unless they are also a room administrator in the data room in question).
Add one or more groups to a data room
- Open the data room to which you want to add groups. You must be a room administrator in that room.
- Click the button to the right of the path navigation bar and then click Permissions in the menu:
- Click the Groups tab.
- Click Authorize Group in the right sidebar.
- The Authorize Group dialog box is displayed.
- Select the desired permission level for the group from the three defaults:
If you want to define special permissions that differ from the three defaults Edit, Read and Room Administrator, you can do this after adding the group to the data room.
Example: The group members should have all permissions of the Edit level, but not the permission for file requests.
In this case, to add the group, first select the default Read permission level because it is the most restrictive.
- Select the desired groups you want to add to the data room with the permission level selected above. If you type part of the group name you are looking for in the Select Group field, the matching groups will be displayed for selection - simply click on the desired group to select it. Repeat this for all other desired groups to be added to the data room.
- Activate the Check new group members checkbox if you want to avoid that new group members, who are added to the group by the group manager afterwards, get immediate access to the room and should instead be checked individually by you or another room manager of the room before they are allowed to access the room.
More information about this setting
- Click the Authorize button. The selected groups are added to the data room with the selected permission level and can use it from now on.
- If a group has access to a data room, it does not automatically have access to subordinate data rooms of this data room. The access rights must be assigned separately for subordinate data rooms, unless the room administrator of the subordinate data room has activated the setting Take over access rights from parent data room for this data room.
- If a group member is also authorized to access the data room as an individual user, the user in the data room receives the authorizations explicitly assigned to him as a user in addition to the group authorizations.
Quickly add groups to multiple data rooms
If you want to add a group to multiple data rooms, DRACOON provides a convenient way to do this so that you do not have to perform the authorization separately for each desired data room.
Add groups to multiple data rooms