Topics of this article
About Groups in DRACOON
User groups are used to simplify and speed up role and authorization management in DRACOON, especially when there are a large number of users or users who are to be authorized to multiple data rooms. They can also help to assign authorizations in a uniform and orderly manner (e.g. department-related).
- For example, a group can be assigned the Auditor" role, which automatically makes all group members (the users belonging to the group) auditors.
- In addition, a group can be assigned by the respective room administrators to Access permissions to specific data rooms be granted - all members of the group may then use these rooms with the permissions defined for the group.
This way, roles and data room permissions do not have to be defined separately for each user. Instead, these are defined once for the group and then the corresponding users are assigned to the group.
Of course, individual users can still be assigned certain additional roles and permissions to data rooms. These individual assignments for individual users then apply in addition to those resulting from the group memberships.
Create new group
Who is allowed to create new groups in DRACOON?
Only users who have the role Group manager are allowed to create new groups in DRACOON.
- In the left sidebar, click Settings and then Groups.
- Click Create Group in the right sidebar (the command is only visible as long as you have not highlighted an existing group).
- The dialog box for creating a new group is displayed.
Enter a meaningful name for the new group in the Name field.
- If the group is only needed for a limited time (e.g. for a project), you can assign an expiration date to the group. To do this, activate the Expiration date button and select the desired expiration date for the group in the calendar below. The expiration date determines the last day on which the group still exists. After the expiration date the group and all authorizations attached to it are removed from DRACOON (the group members remain of course as individual users in DRACOON)..
- Click the Create Group button.
- You can now add users to the group right away. If you wish to do so, type part of the desired username in the Select user field and click the entry in the search result. Repeat this for all desired users that should belong to the group.
- When you have selected all users for the group, click Add users to add them to the group. Otherwise, click Skip to create an empty group first (You can then add to the group add users later).
- Each group member will be automatically notified immediately by e-mail and made aware of the new group membership (unless the respective user has not deactivated this Notification).
Common tasks after creating a new group:
Add the group to a data room (give the group members access to the data room).
Add the group to multiple data rooms
Assign roles to the group to manage DRACOON (e.g. appoint all group members as auditors).